Our Mission Statement
An enlightened, peaceful community transformed through Tibetan Buddhist philosophy and the practice of engaged compassion
As the North American Seat of Drepung Gomang Monastery, DGCEC is a welcoming community that
- offers opportunities to study and practice Tibetan Buddhism
- raises awareness of the endangered Tibetan culture and associated human rights issues
- provides programs relating to the practice of universal human values, interfaith dialogue, and peacemaking as inspired by His Holiness the Dalai Lama
These values provide the lens through which all classes, programs, events, strategies for raising funds, and policies are viewed.
- Nonviolence: An unconditional commitment to avoid harming others
- Loving-Kindness: Caring for other people rooted in recognizing our humanity and interrelatedness
- Compassion: A willingness to see another’s suffering, to foster a desire to alleviate it, and to choose action to relieve the suffering
- Tolerance: An ability to internalize patience and to extend it beyond what might seem reasonable, taking it to a level that includes forgiveness
- Reverence: A profound respect for another that includes a sense of awe - whether for living beings, religious objects/symbols, or the Earth
- Interfaith Collaboration: Working together with diverse religious traditions to build understanding as a formula for creating world peace
Drepung Gomang Center for Engaging Compassion / Tashi Gomang Dharma Center is the North American Seat of Drepung Gomang Monastery in Karnataka, India.
DGCEC, originally incorporated as Drepung Gomang Institute, is a 501(c)(3) non-profit educational organization. All donations are tax-deductible to the full extent of the law.
Tashi Gomang Dharma Center is a 501(c)(3) non-profit religious organization. Dharma teachings offered by our teacher, Geshe Lharampa Kalsang Rapgyal, and visiting teachers are precious gifts for those who come to the center to learn.